- Fieldnote #2: When a Pokémon Master knows 17th-Century French LiteratureI’ve recently been playing through the French version of Pokemon Omega Ruby for Nintendo 3DS— partly for the nostalgia/escapism, but also as a means to improving my French reading. For those who aren’t familiar, there’s a place called Maison de… Continue reading Fieldnote #2: When a Pokémon Master knows 17th-Century French Literature
- To Buenos AiresTe echo de menos, Amor de Verano— Even if I struggle to speak of three days We spent in love strolling across Summer afternoons in Italy and France In t-shirts and gym shorts, still I Whisper your name beneath blankets … Continue reading To Buenos Aires
- Fieldnote #1: On the French verb ”arriver” + the creative lifeIn French, the verb arriver can describe both a physical arrival as well as a figurative one. For a long time, I’ve wanted to experience both of these feelings in my travel and creative life. “Je suis arrivé à écrire… Continue reading Fieldnote #1: On the French verb ”arriver” + the creative life
- Linguacultural Lessons from the Jula of Odienné: Exploring Côte d’Ivoire’s NorthwestLesson #1: I jatigi ye jɔn ye? Who is your host? There were two major reasons I traveled to the north, and neither of them involved getting stranded in a dirt field. As I looked down at my map, I… Continue reading Linguacultural Lessons from the Jula of Odienné: Exploring Côte d’Ivoire’s Northwest
- How to Learn Nouchi like an IvorianOn dit quoi? At first glance, Côte d’Ivoire’s colorful argot can be difficult to decipher. Some call it a dialect, some call it a creole, while others may consider it a completely different language. No matter which way you see… Continue reading How to Learn Nouchi like an Ivorian
First of all— thanks for joining me on this journey, even if only for a few minutes.
I’m Michael, a multilingual creator who writes about intercultural experiences, language learning, and self-development, among other miscellaneous topics.
If you want to learn more about my day-to-day adventures, feel free to explore the blog or read about my mission here.
Five Contemplations on Solo Travel: A Letter to Myself at All Times
On Becoming More Human in 2022
Once to twice a month, I send out a newsletter of top travel stories and learning resources directly to your inbox.
*No spam, ever. Unless served with eggs and rice.